Chances are your doctor wants you to be more active, and for good reason. According to the CDC, regular physical activity can help older adults maintain their independence, decrease fall and fracture risks, reduce anxiety and depression, and help with major health issues like blood pressure, arthritis, heart disease, and diabetes. Humana has recognized the importance of keeping seniors physically active with the induction of the Humana Silver Sneakers fitness program.
With this program, people with Medicare are able to take advantage of indoor, outdoor, and at home fitness classes, gym equipment, pools, and social events.
What is the SilverSneakers Program?
With membership, the SilverSneakers program gives you access to 11,000 participating fitness centers across the country. Use the fitness equipment on your own or take advantage of a SilverSneakers fitness class, taught by a certified instructor.
If indoor workouts aren’t your thing, SilverSneakers FLEX allows you to take tai chi, yoga, or become a member of a walking group at a local park or recreation center. This way you can enjoy the great outdoors and meet some new friends as well.
If there are no participating centers near you, the program will send you a choice of 4 kits: general fitness, strength, walking, or yoga to use where and whenever you like. Use your kit in combination with the SilverSneakers GO fitness app to watch exercise videos from your phone or tablet.
What Types of Classes Are Offered?
All taught by certified instructors, SilverSneakers offers a multitude of classes for all ability levels.
- SilverSneakers Classic – A fun class with a variety of exercises to increase strength and range of movement using hand-held weights, elastic tubing with handles, and a SilverSneakers ball. Can be done seated or standing.
- SilverSneakers Circuit – An exciting standing cardio class designed to enhance muscular and cardiovascular endurance and power using hand-held weights, elastic tubing with handles, and a SilverSneakers ball in combination with low-impact aerobics.
- SilverSneakers Cardiofit – A safe, heart-healthy, and joint-gentle aerobics class that combines low-impact movement, upper body strength, abdominal conditioning, stretching, and relaxation exercises.
- SilverSneakers Yoga – A complete series of seated and standing yoga poses designed to increase flexibility, balance, and range of movement with restorative breathing and relaxation exercises to enhance clarity and stress reduction.
- SilverSneakers Splash – An enjoyable shallow water class that promotes agility and flexibility and cardio, strength, and endurance conditioning. You don’t have to know how to swim as a SilverSneakers kickboard and other aquatic equipment is provided in order to improve strength, balance, and coordination.
- Boom Classes – 3 unique 30-minute group exercise classes for baby boomers and others seeking to improve their fitness levels.
- FLEX Classes – Offered at local recreation centers, senior living communities, and local parks, FLEX offers more than 50 types of classes like line and Latin-style dancing, boot camp, tai chi, and walking groups.
Is the SilverSneakers Program Right for Me?
If you want to maintain an active lifestyle or begin to take steps to make yourself more active, then this program may be exactly what you are looking for. SilverSneakers is designed for Medicare Members, aged 65+ who are dedicated to living their best lives through physical activity.
Regular physical activity can help seniors:
- Maintain independent living
- Decrease falls and risks for fractures
- Minimize the chances for heart disease, colon cancer, and diabetes
- Lower blood pressure
- Improve stamina and strength
- Reduce risks for depression and anxiety
- Maintain healthy muscles, joints, and bones
How do I Sign Up?
The first step is to determine if you are eligible. Most current Humana Medicare Advantage members are able to take advantage of SilverSneakers at no additional cost. Check your eligibility or contact your ICUSA expert for specific details.
Once you get your 16-digit member ID number, take it to any participating location and notify an employee that you want to enroll. They will take you on a tour of their facility and give you a schedule of classes offered.
If you have any questions about your eligibility, your insurance plan, or need any unbiased insurance guidance, contact an expert at the Insurance Connection today.